Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Review: Dead to Me by Anton Strout

Title: Dead to Me
Author:
Publisher: Ace
Date Published: February 26, 2008
Genre(s): Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Pages: 368
My Rating:



Goodreads Synopsis: Psychometry-the power to touch an object and divine information about its history-has meant a life of petty crime for Simon Canderous, but now he's gone over to the good side. At New York's underfunded and (mostly) secret Department of Extraordinary Affairs, he's learning about red tape, office politics, and the basics of paranormal investigation. But it's not the paperwork that has him breathless. After Simon spills his coffee on (okay, through) the ghost of a beautiful woman- who doesn't know she's dead-he and his mentor plan to find her killers. But Simon's not prepared for the nefarious plot that unfolds before him, involving politically correct cultists, a large wooden fish, a homicidal bookcase, and the forces of Darkness, which kind of have a crush on him.


Ok, let’s get down to business shall we? I really enjoyed this book! I won it through goodreads first-reads and was very excited when I got the email saying I had won! Not only did it have an intriguing cover with a dark haired hunk on it, but the synopsis reminded me of the movie Dylan Dog, which I really liked. Simon has the rare power to touch something and be able to see the past that is related to that object. He used have a sketchy past and used his powers to find items that the owner had an emotional attachment to, then sale the items back to them. Although this was very profitable he got caught up with all the wrong people and decided to change his ways and straighten up. When Simon found the Department of Extraordinary Affairs he finally found a place where he could use his powers for good. In a city where zombies and ghost run rampant, it’s Simon, and his mentor, Connor’s job to clean up the streets before the rest of the public learns these dark creatures are not just a scary bedtime story.

What I liked? My favorite part about Simon’s power is when he touched something and got sucked into the vision of great historical figures, for instance, Henry the Second of France. Imagine being able to see through the eyes of someone who went through so much! I also was very interested in the plot. Even though all the characters in the book are ones we have all read about (zombies, ghost, and vampires) the author really puts a twist on it, and it's hard to guess what’s going to happen next. There was even a little love triangle happening, though it was a little impractical because one of them was a ghost (how would that ever work?).

The bad? The only part I didn’t like about the book was not being able to really get a feel on Simon’s character. He would have moments of deep thought and could be extremely caring, but then he would be a whiny brat. Sometimes he would be very emotional and complain in places where a normal man would hold his composure. One minute I would love him and the next I would want to yell at him and tell him to shut up! There were also the very cheesy jokes he felt the need to throw in.

All in all I’m very impressed and loved the witty banter throughout the book! I’m really looking forward to watching Simon’s character develop and I think I just might have to get the rest of the series! :)



Yay! I love when I get a book signed :)