Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Author Spotlight: Interview with Tawny Stokes - Demon Whisperer

I am excited to announce this weeks Author Spotlight with Tawny Stokes author of the New YA paranormal Demon Whisperer! Below you will find one of the funnest interviews I've done to date and review by yours truly :)

About Tawny :  Tawny Stokes has always been a writer. From an early age, she’d spin tales of serial killers in love, vampires taking over the world, and sometimes about fluffy bunnies turned bunnicidal maniacs. An honour student in high school, with a penchant for math and English, you’d never know it by the foot high blue Mohawk and Doc Martens, which often got her into trouble. No longer a Mohawk wearer, Tawny still enjoys old school punk rock, trance, zombie movies, teen horror films, and fluffy bunnies. She lives in Canada with her fantastical daughter, two cats, and spends most of her time creating new stories for teens.
Tawny also writes adult paranormal/urban fantasy fiction under the name Vivi Anna, and is an aspiring screenwriter.

1. Thank you for stopping by Shadow Kisses Book Blog! First off, how has your week been?


It’s been good Cassie, thanks for asking.


2. Tell us about some of your most recent work?


My most recent book is Demon Whisperer, a dark paranormal YA. Leans toward horror. It’s about an exorcist who does exorcisms on Hollywood stars and such. Also recently put out Static, another dark paranormal YA about a groupie who gets more than she bargained for when she hooks up with her favorite punk rock band.


3. Where do the ideas for your stories come from?


Everywhere. I get them from movies, TV shows, snippets of conversation I hear, magazine articles, newspaper stories, global events, local events, people I know, people I hear about. And mostly situations that intrigue me or freak me out.
Not sure where Demon Whisperer came about. Oh right, it actually started by thinking about some cool dude with the last name Butcher. I thought what would he be like, what would he do. Then it just evolved from there, with a bunch of ‘what if’ questions.


4. Have you ever had any paranormal experiences of your own?


Sort of. Could have been. I was with some friends as a teen, in an old house that one of my friends father had just bought, it was big and they were only living in a few rooms, so we decided to play with a Ouija board in one of the empty rooms, there was an incident with a glass flying across the room and smashing against one of the walls. To this day, I’m not clear on exactly what happened. It’s a mystery… *insert X-Files theme here*


5. What's the best part of being a published author?


Making stuff up. LOVE living in other worlds in my head. Love creating people and new worlds. It’s why I write basically only paranormal type stuff. I’m not a big fan of reality. :)

6. What’s the worst?


Not knowing if and when you’re going to get paid. I hate the worrying about business part of it. I hate stressing about whether I’m going to be able to make rent.


7. What's a mistake you made that you wish you hadn't, but are glad you were able to learn from?

Just one? Ha! Let’s see, when I was like 14 I had a big Mohawk and one night I saw some people with spray paint ( I won’t tell you what they were doing) so I borrowed the paint and sprayed my hair blue and red. It was stupid, obviously, because paint doesn’t wash out. I had to shave my head. But really I was whatever, because what I learned was…hair always grows back. :)

8. How did you assume the pseudonym, Vivi Anna?


I wanted a name that was cool and suited me for my adult books. My favorite letter in the alphabet is V, and I liked the look of it especially when written by hand, and I did numerology on it and it came out as a powerful and successful number for me. Strange I know, but there it is. The truth is out there.


9. What is your favorite part of Caden Butcher’s world in DEMON WHISPERER?


I love Uncle Eldon and how he fits into it. I love that I could create a different type of zombie, because of Caden’s girlfriend Aspen and her necromancy skills. Uncle Eldon is one of those characters that is pure evil, but so much fun to write. He can do whatever he wants to do. I love it. I hope to write many more Caden Butcher books where Uncle Eldon can play a bigger role.


10. The book, STATIC, is centered on the music world. Did you have any musical muses while writing the book?


I listened to lot of Evanescence, Paramore, Trapt, Staind, Red, Theory of a Deadman, Skillet, and Flyleaf. They were the mainstay of my playlist while I wrote the book.


11. Many people are closed minded and feel the paranormal world is a bad influence for others to read about. Do you ever get judged for writing in the paranormal genre?


I’ve never gotten judged. At least not to my knowledge. I have a pretty out there personality, I don’t much like rules. I don’t like to be limited and especially don’t like people telling me what I can and can’t write about, or what I should or shouldn’t write about based on their belief system.


12. What message from your books do you want to convey to your readers?


I’m not really about messages. If a person is entertained by my work that’s all that matters to me. If they get more out of it, then that’s just a huge bonus. But I do have to say that EVERY book I’ve written has a theme of redemption in them. That everyone can make up for some wrong in their past. That they don’t have to be caged by it.


13. What is an interesting quirk you have?


I will literally run around the house a few times before finishing a book. Right when I’m at the end, I will write a few sentences, get up, fast walk around the house a time or two, come back write some more, get up and do it again. I will do that until I write THE END on the page. It’s weird I know, but I do it for EVERY book.


14. Who is your hero?


Hmm, that’s a tough question. I guess my literary hero would be Stephen King. I like what’s he done with his career and that he became one of the first genre authors to make it cool to be a genre author.


15. If you could pick, would you choose to live in your fantasy worlds or real life?

I’d only live in my fantasy worlds if I was a lot cooler and had some major skills and had unlimited money. Other than that, I find some relief that I live in the real world where I don’t have to worry about zombies pushing out of graves or friends of mine being possessed or musicians sucking the soul out of me through their music.

16. In most Young Adult novels the characters fall in love right away. Do you believe in love at first sight?


Love? No. I do believe in a connection at first sight, a connection more than physical. But do I believe that’s love? No. I believe it is deeper and people connect on a spiritual level.


17. What is your next project?


I’m working on the next Caden Butcher book, as well as a high concept YA that I’m so excited about. Have to keep it secret. For now. :)


18. Is there anything else you would like to let the readers know?


Readers can always find me procrastinating on twitter. I love twitter. My handle is @TawnyStokes or my adult book name @authorViviAnna


Static Blurb: “Everything about the book (Static) from the characters to the plot, was unique, and exciting.” – Bree, The Awesome Magic Attic YA book blog


Keep reading for my review of Demon Whisperer!

Title: Demon Whisperer
Author: Tawny Stokes
Series: Caden Butcher #1
Date Published: September 2011
Genre(s): YA, Paranormal
My Rating:

Goodreads Sysnopsis:  Awake a year-long coma, where he literally spent in hell, Caden Butcher, 17, developed a special power. He can speak to demons in their own language. This new trick helps him take over the family exorcism business, from his broken alcoholic father. Having to take care of the finances, Caden makes a decent income getting rid of demons. He’s known as the young whiz-kid exorcist to the stars, obtaining most of his work in Hollywood. But what others don't know is the exorcisms are all staged with the help of his best buddy, a demon he met in hell named Dantalion (Dan).
          When an exorcism goes wrong, Caden discovers the demon inside a teen girl is not the run of the mill malicious entity but an adversary from down under who is hell bent on Caden’s destruction. The International Order of Exorcists, an organization that tolerates Caden at best because of his respected father, starts their own investigation because of his screw up.
          Now with the help of his demon buddy, and Caden’s girlfriend Aspen Spencer, a skilled necromancer, Caden must track down the rogue demon before he can expose Caden as a fraud and destroy everything that matters to him in his life, ending his reign as the one and only Demon Whisperer.

Although I love my vampires and shifters it is so nice to see something different thrown into the mix and Caden is just that, Different! He’s a hunky, sarcastic, kickass exorcist with a sweet side. The world Stokes has created is original and fun and filled with danger. Stir in some romance, demons, necromancers, zombies, a cat, and a less than trustworthy best friend and you have the exorcism of the century! You get to see Caden struggle with being in his father’s shadow and taking on the responsibilities of an adult while still being a teenager and on top of that, a teenager in love. If the rockin characters and storyline don’t catch your fancy (and they will) Caden’s life will, as there is something we can all relate too. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book because the “sexy teen exorcist” tag doesn’t happen often, but Stokes didn’t let me down. I’m excited that there will be more books in this series and can’t wait to see what happens next!

2 comments:

Lynnea (LaLa) said...

“Sexy Teen Exorcist”... hmm, different but I have to say, I just added it to my TBR shelf after reading your review. Can't wait to read it now.

Cass said...

Thank you for reading my review! It was very good. Hope you like it :)