Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Date Published: October 18th 2007
Genre(s): YA, Realistic Fiction
Pages: 288
My Rating: 

Goodreads Synopsis: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.


Some of you are going to feel uncomfortable with these next words (but I’m not ashamed) I have thought about suicide. A few horrible things happened to me in a short time and I became so depressed that I couldn’t imagine going another day feeling as I did. Lucky for me, I got help and had a strong family behind me.  Maybe this is why this book touched me so much, or maybe it’s because it’s just a really amazing book, but I highly recommend it to everyone! Don’t expect a happy read, rather a painfully sad one, where you find yourself wanting to shout at the book, “Don’t trust him! Don’t let him hurt you! Please tell someone how you feel!”

Told in a dual narration that is definitely unique you get the story of Hannah Baker, a girl who explains the snowball effect that lead to the most important and last decision she would ever make….to commit suicide. Clay receives a box full of cassette tapes. When he listens to them he gets to hear Hannah’s story and how he fits into it. During the playing of the tapes not only do you get to read Hannah’s story, but Clays reaction while hearing it. I heard the author almost left the book as just Hannah’s narration but thank goodness he didn’t because the dual narration is so dynamic and intriguing. I promise once you start reading you will want to keep reading to hear what happens next!

The message? Even though we may not know it, we have an effect on others life’s. How true this is! I am sad for Hannah, but happy that I read this story, and I hope if someone else feels like there is no way out, they get help as I did :)

Even though this is a YA, I highly recommend it to everyone just because it carries such a strong message. If you liked this book I suggest trying By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters, which is on my "To-Read" shelf :)

3 comments:

Maja said...

I think I've been waiting too long to read this book. Lovely review.

I really like your blog. I just had to follow you. :)
A friend and I just started ourselves, come see us at http://thenocturnallibrary.blogspot.com

Canada said...

This book is the heartbreaking story of why Hannah Baker decided to commit suicide. She leaves behind tapes telling how certain 13 people were involved in her decision to end her life. Although sometimes she can seem cynical, towards the end you can sympathize with her more and more. The scene that really touched me was when Tony tells Clay about Hannah giving him her bike.

Rea said...

I read this book last summer and for me it was a good read but not more than that. I think that what you said about having been through the same sort of situation affects how the reader sees this book. I went through my own issues of course but they were a world apart from those Hannah has to deal with.

I know just what you mean about wanting to scream at the character to talk to someone, to get help. The message was very important too: you can affect people in a whole range of ways that you may not even be aware of. I didn't like the cop out concerning Clay's involvement in her suicide, though.