Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review: Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan

Title: Jenny Pox
Series: The Paranormals #1
Author: JL Bryan
Published: July 24th 2009
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
My Rating:

Jenny has a secret. Her touch spreads a supernatural plague.

She devotes her life to avoiding contact with people, until her senior year of high school, when she meets the one boy she can touch, and she falls in love. 

But there's a problem—he's under the spell of his devious girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all. 

Now Jenny must learn to use the deadly "Jenny pox" she's fought her entire life to hide, or be destroyed by Ashleigh's ruthless plans. 

Not for readers under eighteen.

I’m about to sound like an old fart, but was this book really meant for Young Adults? I’m only 23 and I’m not stupid, I know teens have sex but good lord this book shocked me! Nothing sexual was really happening and then bam, teenage three way! The gore level in this book was also very high. The scene near the end of the book, where everyone basically dies, was very detailed and unexpected. The book didn’t exactly have a fast pace so the random outrageous parts seemed that much more out of place.

This being said, the writing was very good and I loved Jenny-The sweet girl with the tragic curse that keeps her from touching anyone around her. Jenny is witty and fun and somehow still has a soft spot in her heart for humanity, although they have done nothing but be cruel to her.

Eventually Jenny finds the one person who can touch her and he happens to be the town hunk. Once Jenny steals him from Ashleigh (the local sweetheart and most popular girl in school) Jenny puts a target on her head for Ashleigh’s revenge. While Jenny and her new beau explore their new relationship and each other, Ashleigh sets out on a plan to ruin their lives and eventually make the whole world fall in love with her.

When Jenny finds out her suspicions are true, and Ashleigh has the power to spread love-the opposite of Jenny’s power, she knows she must stop Ashleigh before she does something crazy…..like make all the teenagers horny, have unprotected sex, and then infuse their unborn children with her love so she will have a little Ashleigh obeying army…….yea, that really is in the book :P

All in all I thought the book had a good basic story line but went too far in certain areas. By the end of the book you uncover the story behind Jenny’s powers and are set up for the sequel. I will definitely keep reading the next books if for nothing more than to see what new, crazy things this author can think up. If you haven’t read this book I recommend reviewing it before you pass it on to your young adult.
The cover of this book is very beautiful. The girl on the cover is pretty yet awkward just like Jenny, and she is standing with her arms crossed in a way that says, “Stay away! I have a secret.” I am a sucker for pastels so I love the color pallet with the soft pinks. Giving this cover a B+.
I recommend this book to adults that love an "out of the ordinary" paranormal read. This book is targeted at young adults but I suggest it for readers 17+ because of the strong sexual content and violence. If you like this book I suggest trying the next books in the series, Tommy Nightmare and Alexander Death.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I love pastel colours too and this book is pretty... but her arms look so weird! Something not quite right about the image. Sounds like an interesting book though!

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

http://www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

Lois D. Brown said...

I’m a writer, book lover, and your newest blog follower! My blog is Life of Lois Feel free to stop on by.

Lois

Jordan Butcher said...

I LOVED this series. Alexander Death was the perfect end. I personally rated Jenny Pox and Tommy Nightmare a 4, and I agree, the sex scene was a little brash. But overall, I loved to storyline.