Sunday, December 18, 2011

Review: What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

Title: What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know
Series: What My Mother Doesn't Know #2
Author: Sonya Sones
Published: December 16th 2008
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 304
My Rating:
This book is about me. It tells the story of what happens when after almost 15 pathetic years of loserdom, the girl of my dreams finally falls for me. 
That seems like it would be a good thing, right? Only it turns out to be a lot more complicated than that. Because I'm not gonna lie to you, there are naked women involved. Four of them, to be exact. Though not in the way you might think. 

Don't get me wrong -- my girlfriend's amazing. But the way things have been going lately, I'm starting to believe that the only thing worse than not getting what you want, is getting it.


Take a journey back to your first kiss. The way it made you feel…all the butterflies…all the excitement…all the heartache. This is the road What my girlfriend doesn't know, will lead you down. You will get to follow Robin as he gets his first real girlfriend and learns that the hardest battle is actually keeping her….while still being the high school outcast.
One of the things I loved most about this book is the nerd actually gets the girl from the very beginning! Sophie and Robin click right away and are one of the cutest couples I’ve ever read about….under the age of eighteen. They are that couple I can imagine smooching on a bench in the park, that I make a face too, and say “Come on, get a room,” even though the truth is I’m just jealous :)
This book is told from the point of view of Robin, teenage social pariah, who is also laugh out loud witty and even though he is just a hormone driven boy, can be very deep. The book is told in verses and has mixed reviews because it never really goes anywhere. There is no rising action and a “had me on the edge of my seat” climax. But the story is real and everyone can relate. I didn’t have any trouble being interested in this book…I actually couldn’t get enough. I wouldn’t recommend reading this one in a public place because you may start smiling or laughing to yourself, and there is a very strong chance people will think you’re crazy :)
There are a few different covers for this book but this is the one my paperback copy had…. and ok…it’s nothing special but it’s still cute. I think the girl on the cover represents the right age for Sophie and is very beautiful…(If I was a guy, I would want her to be my girlfriend). It does invoke a little mystery…Who is this guy she is holding on too? What’s their story? So all in all I would give this cover a B- rating.
I recommend this book to YA lovers of any age! If you liked this book I suggest trying one of Sonya Sones other books like, What My Mother Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know #1), which is written in Sophie’s point of view.

3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Great review. This book is new to me, and I love finding out about new books.

I'm a new follower from Book Blogs. I hope you'll check out my blog sometime. http://kellyhashway.blogspot.com

Jennifer Messerschmidt said...

This books very cute. I had never heard of it before.

Liz Davis said...

Thanks for the review. I'm might just check it out. I'm your newest follower. I found you Book Blogs. It would be nice if you visited my blog. Liz