Friday, January 6, 2012

Author Interview with Elizabeth Mueller-Darkspell Reveal

I am excited to welcome the talented Elizabeth Mueller today, author of the new YA paranormal Darkspell.  Please keep reading for information about her fabulous new book and interview with Elizabeth herself! Elizabeth has giving a beautifully honest and interesting interview that I hope you enjoy! Don't forget to stop by her site for event information and other tour stops :)

Title: Darkspell
Author: Elizabeth Mueller
Genres: YA, Paranormal
Published: 2011
Publisher: TreasureLine Books
Winter Sky believes she is everything ordinary . . . until she is kissed by Alex Stormhold. 


As seer of Stormhold Coven, Alex is sworn to be Winter’s protector against the darkness that hunts her. Violently thrust into a magickal realm she always thought impossible, she stumbles upon a disturbing secret of her own. 

Will love prove thicker than magick?




About Elizabeth

Elizabeth started writing when she was 9 with short poems. When she was 11 she started writing short stories, and by age 17 she began her first novel. She loves to draw, act, sing, dance, write, and play with her four children. It is Elizabeth's goal as an author, to let her readers know there is hope, love, and strength in this life that seems to batter and abuse our souls, but her trials have made her compassionate and she loves sharing what she has learned, which shows in her writing. A common theme in her writing is enduring tragedies, failing, and coming out stronger in the end....something I think we can all learn from and live by!


1. Thank you for stopping by Shadow Kisses Book Blog! First off, how has your week been?

Hi, Cassie! I'm honored to be a part of your fantastic blog, thank you! My week has been extremely busy! So busy, my house readily shows. I wonder when it will all settle down?

2. Where do the ideas for your stories come from?

I've always had an overactive imagination, it's crazy, really. Darkspell came from a simple one sentence prompt from Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic. Other novels have unfolded from a simple sunset, or a piece of music or a character from a movie.

3. Have you ever had any paranormal experiences of your own?

What a very interesting question. Oh, yes, many! From the bad kinds as well as the good kinds--almost like demons and angel experiences! I know that sounds farfetched, but I have felt "evil" creep up on me, it makes me shiver! I've also felt the presence of a loved one when he recently passed, but Darkspell doesn't have angels in it.

4. What's a mistake you made that you wish you hadn't, but are glad you were able to learn from?

I try to make it a point to learn from other's mistakes ever since I was a child. I've seen family suffer from bad choices and I don't want the same fate to befall me, but I've stumbled myself so many times that I'm happy to share my experiences with others so that they know they're not alone.

One major mistake I did was when my first baby was born. I'd never had any experiences with newborn babies and I was afraid of her. She felt like a little stranger to me and I didn't know how to get to know her. Oh, I still held her and loved her and all that, but I wasn't used to her. I let the nurses whisk her away to the nursery. When I had my second baby, I insisted on having him sleep in my room for as long as possible--it was heaven! I learned not to be afraid of these little guys.

5. How did the idea for the cover art come about?

I'm glad you asked this question! I was laying in bed one night, my mind flying a million miles a minute over Darkspell and then the image just pounced on me. It was a bit different in my head: I had imagined Alex reaching out, his hand the soft glow of candlelight, his face bathed in half darkness as it is now.
My 12 year-old son is the cover model, I'm happy that he went along with my crazy whims!

6. Do you have any musical muses while writing your books?

It would be really nice if I could write to music, my mind tends to focus on the lyrics and not the words, so sadly, no. But I do have musical muses that spur that help spur my magic! For Darkspell, it was mainly Enigma's instrumental.

7. What is an interesting quirk you have?

I would have to say my honesty; I wear my heart way out on my sleeve and I know that not very many people are used to that.

8. In most young adult novels the characters fall in love right away. Do you believe in love at first sight?

I've heard that there's no such thing as love at first sight, since I'm a true child at heart and never stifle her, yes, I do believe that love at first sight can happen! There's more to it that happens on a deeper level as it happens--there's the whole acceptance of that person when you fall in love, the newness of exploration of one's personalities, interests, and likes. If a person is intuitive, it makes it that much more sweeter.

9. What is your next project?

I've started Darkspell's sequel, but since my motto for writing is Obey Your Muse, I've decided to submit my YA Contemporary Romance, Rockstar! Narcissistic rock star Moggie falls in love with Beth who discovers she has terminal cancer. It's a real tear-jerker. I can't wait for its release!

10. Is there anything else you would like to let the readers know?

I base my books off of my emotional experiences--I grew up in an abusive home and survived! As a parent, I started out with fierce determination to reinvent my parenting skills because I did not want my children to feel the same horrors as I had. I've faced many things and have come out strong because of them, I am more than happy to share my passion through my writing and hope that you can taste it for yourselves as you read my books.

Oh, and don't be afraid to email me! elizabeth.mueller.authorATgmailDOTcom!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Thank you SO much for the fun interview, you write the coolest questions!

happy new year!
*hugs*
♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

FABR Steph said...

Great interview. I love all of the personalized questions. It is nice to get to know an author on a different level.
-FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews