Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Review: The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book 1

Title: The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book 1: Air
Author/Artist: Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko
Genre: Fantasy, Graphic Novel, Anime 
Release Date: July 23rd 2013
Details: Hardcover, 144 pages
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
My Rating:
Go behind the scenes of the animated series The Legend of Korra - created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko - the smash-hit sequel to their blockbuster show Avatar: The Last Airbender! This handsome hardcover contains hundreds of pieces of never-before-seen artwork created during the development of Season 1 of the show. With captions from Michael and Bryan throughout, this is an intimate look inside the creative process that brought the mystical world of bending and a new generation of heroes to life!
I am such an Avatar: The Last Airbender fan, and now that I am anxiously awaiting the second book in The Legend of Korra animated TV show, I was really excited to get a digital review copy of this book!

My Take on the Story: This book is not a comic with a story-line, but rather a behind the scenes look at Book One of the TV show. It is broken down into chapters and explains the beginning stages of each character (even the ones you may have missed in the show) and their world.

How cute is Korra as a toddler? hehe
The Content: This is truly a great read for any fan of the show. There are never before seen sketches of the characters, highly detailed art work of the buildings and weapons, and narrative captions by the creators/artists. Also included is fan artwork by other Nickelodeon artists, and original storyboards from the show.
Why oh why can't I cuddle with Naga!?
The Art: Even if there wasn't a line of text in this book, it would be worth buying, just for the beautiful artwork! The pictures of the town and countryside are so amazing, I would like to frame them and put them on my wall! (No Lie)


Get ready for the premier of book two in The Legond of Korra, airing Friday September 13th on Nickelodeon :)

2 comments:

Mina said...

I am 42 and I have watched every single episode of Avatar with my son :) The book looks awesome! I saw you on Goodreads and I am a new follower of yours. Hope you'll follow back http://minadecaro.blogspot.com Mina's Bookshelf

emaginette said...

This looks so good. Can't wait.